178

My first conference telephone conference with Christina the nutritionist ended on a high note.

"Your body responds to exercise, so keep at it."

That's the first time anyone had ever told me that and the first time that I realized it. She was right. After recounting the times that I had lost a significant amount of weight was after periods of time when I was very active: pledging a sorority; living in Manhattan and walking home almost every night and just walking everywhere.

After more than two years of wearing a Fitbit to track my steps, the number of miles I walk, the amount of water I drink every day and the number of calories I consumer each day, I was down more than 35 pounds. More depending on when you start counting my weight loss.

So the diet worked! I call it a low-level fast. But now that I've lost the weight, how do I keep the weight off? There are lots of studies, books, public TV programs about weight loss. Not so much weight maintenance.

That was the challenge I gave to my BeWell counselor Natalie. She suggested added a few snacks to my diet. Almonds, maybe a hard-boiled egg. She also recommended that I enroll in course with a personal nutritionist.

I did. Christina sent me a survey to fill out and return. Questions ranged from past medical history to eating and sleeping habits.

The next week we talked.

We ended with an action plan. One was to increase the amount of protein--fish, animal, any kind--that I eat every day. The goal is to help me stop feeling hungry. Here is my plan

Here is a summary of the action steps you landed on:

  • AMs snack
  • at 9-9:30
  • PM snack
  • 3:30
  • Add egg
  • or tuna for B
  • 3 grams
  • fiber per slide
  • Add veggies
  • to salad
  • 2-3 oz
  • protein for meals
  • Add ½ cup
  • carbs/beans/fruit, or grain to meal if ready
  • Add protein
  • to sandwich
  • ½ sandwich,
  • ½ salad
  • Try different
  • breads
  • Log: energy,
  • hunger (see attached document), fullness, cravings, weight
Yes, there were some handouts. There were a couple of recipes including mini egg muffins that I am going to try next week. One of the action items was to keep a log of how I feel after adding the protein and eating more often.

That is the reason for this blog.

Comments